Life cannot always be in our control. Sometimes, we can dictate what we want, some other times life deals us with a blow. Such is life. When your friends and loved ones need a pat on the back, here are condolence / sympathy messages you can send to a friend.
Losing a loved one can be a very painful experience. And, although words cannot stop the hurt and pain, they can go a long way in helping a bereaved person feel loved and encouraged.
Knowing the exact words to write for a sympathy message to a friend or loved one doesn’t always come easy. The fact remains that, there is truly no perfect word or words to express your heartfelt condolence and support. What is most important is that you are a source of comfort and strength, when they need you the most.
Condolences Message to A Friend
When a close friend is experiencing grief, it can be as though you feel the same pain they are suffering. Finding the exact words to show your concern and understanding can be difficult.
This is why we have compiled some great samples of condolence messages to a friend that can help you compose your message.
1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Just know that I am always here for you, praying that you find love and strength during this painful period.
2. Let your pain out and think of the beautiful memories you have together. I have you in my heart always. Here are my heartfelt condolences.
3. I wish no one had to lose a loved one. It feels like the day has become night. I want you to know that it won’t always be that way. The day will dawn, and the sun will shine through again. I will be a ray of light, and will always be there when you need me. Accept my sincere sympathies.
4. Accept my heartfelt sympathies for the loss of him/her(name). Just know that I am with you in this and if you need to sit and talk or cry, I am here for you now and always.
5. Nothing can fill the void created by the loss of your loved one. Just think of all the love, joy, and laugher he/she brought to your world. Sending you my love. Accept my condolences.
6. When it seems the bridge over grief is shaky and long, look up. The world around is full of beauty that’s yet to be discovered. I am always here for you.
7. It hurts to lose someone you love. The journey to finding love again may seem long and shaky. Keep moving forward. You’ll find solid ground again. I’m sending you my heartfelt condolences.
8. It’s devastating losing someone so dear. There are no words that can ever really ease that pain. I wish you strength and healing during these hardest of days. Let the tears roll when they come and laugh when you feel like it.
9. Death is indeed a part of life, yet losing someone is heartbreaking. I’m so sorry for the loss of him/her (name). I will help you through it. I’m here to listen to your words, wipe your tears, and hold your hand through it all.
10. I do know that you are going through a really tough time. Just know that I am always here for you. My condolences.
11. I am truly sorry for your loss. I know words are never gonna soothe the pain but I’m here for you. May you find comfort in this period of pain.
12. Accept my condolences for your loss. May the good Lord bring you comfort and may His Angels ease the pain of this loss.
13. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time. I’m deeply sorry for the death of your loved one. I hope that the many happy memories that you made together, be a source of consolation today and all the days ahead. Sending you my heartfelt condolences and sympathies.
14. It’s hard saying goodbye to someone as important as (name) to you. Take heart dear.
15. Although I cannot take (name) place, I am here to help you through it. You are always in my heart.
16. My heartfelt condolences for the loss of your…. I hope you find comfort in remembering the special moments you shared throughout the years.
17. Accept my condolences. I am deeply sorry for the loss of him/her. He/she will be greatly missed.
18. Please accept my deepest sympathy for the recent loss of your (name). I just wanted to write to you, to let you know I am thinking of you always in your time of loss. I am sending you my deepest sympathies and condolences.
19. Saying goodbye is never easy even when we see it coming. May the sweet memories you made with (name) all through the years and during his/her last days help you find peace. Sending you lots of love and wishes for brighter days ahead.
20. I would do anything to ease the pain you’re feeling right now. Just let your tears flow and let your heartache. Know you are in my thoughts, and I am here if you’d like to talk. My deepest condolences for your loss.
21. I know that learning of him/her (name)’s passing was heartbreaking for you. Just know that I, your family, and your friends are here for you. You can always lean on us.
22. Losing someone you love hurts terribly. I hope you are finding strength and courage in the memories you built together with him/her. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you need a shoulder to cry on.
23. Your heart may feel saddened right now and happiness may seem like a dry leaf carried away by the wind and lost in the sky. Be hopeful, my friend because the winds of change can bring new adventures and experiences. Sending my most sincere condolences.
24. My heart aches, seeing how much hurt you feel. I know that you were close to him/her(name). Only time has the power to heal a wound like this. My deepest condolences.
25. I can’t make the pain go away, but be rest assured that I am here to hold your hand through it all. Sending you my sincere sympathies and condolences.
26. I am so sorry for your loss. He/she (name) was truly one-of-a-kind and can never be forgotten. I am here to help whether it’s distracting you from your pain or showing you support. My deepest condolences.
27. I know it’s really difficult to accept the reality of losing a loved one. But you can keep their memory alive by talking about them. I will be here to listen whenever you’re ready.
28. It is normal to feel sad and down-spirited during these difficult periods. Dear friend, I am here for you, to help you through the ups and downs. I am so very sorry for your loss.
29. My heartfelt condolences go to you and your family. I will definitely feel the absence of a truly loveable and sweet person.
30. Words, no matter how kind can never mend a broken heart, but I care for you and wish you comfort and peace of mind
31. Accept all my sincere sympathy for the untimely loss of your dear friend. I hope you find the strength to pull through this period.
Sympathy Quotes for A Friend
Love and empathy are beyond words. But words help us relate how we feel especially in hard and painful times.
Below are some heartfelt sympathy quotes for a friend plus some from famous authors and poets to help lift their spirit.
1. I hope that the loving memories in your heart bring you peace, comfort, and strength for the days ahead.
2. Whoever you hold in the heart of you, is forever and always a part of you.” – Rossiter Raymond
3. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
4. Just to let you know you are loved and have a shoulder to lean on now and always.
5. “The Remembrance of the good done those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
6. Hold on to those memories for comfort and, know that my family and I are sharing in this time of grief with you.
7. Those memories will always be within your heart and the heart of many others that loved him/her to cherish forever.
8. “He kept at true good humor’s mark. The social flow of pleasure’s tide: He never made a brow look dark, nor caused a tear, but when he died.” -Thomas Love Peacock
9. To say goodbye to someone we love is heartbreaking. May you find comfort in all the beautiful memories you shared with him/her(name).
10. My prayers are with you during this tough time. Accept my deepest sympathy.
11. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” -Dorothy Ferguson
12. Words cannot express the sadness I feel. May the good Lord comfort and help you during this hard time.
13. That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not; rather find strength in what remains behind.” William Wordsworth
14. Today and always, may loving memories ease the hurt and bring you comfort and strength.
15. “A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.” – Maya Angelou
16. Just know that someone so special will never be forgotten. He/ she will forever be in our hearts. Accept my condolences.
17. ”Listen to God with a broken heart. He is not only the doctor who mends it but also the father who wipes away the tears.” Criss Jami
18. Words are not enough to express the sorrow we feel due to the loss of him/her. My heart is with you now and always.
19. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, Star-dust or sea-foam, Flower or winged air.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
20. I know that no words can help to ease your loss but, I just want you to know that you are very close in my thoughts and prayer.
21. We will always cherish the loving memories of him/her. Someone as special as him/her will never be forgotten.
22. ”We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.“ Cassandra Clare
23. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time. Please know that I am thinking of you, and praying for peace and comfort for you and your family.
24. He/she will be greatly missed but his/her love, kindness, and sweet spirit will always be remembered. Accept my sympathy.
25. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” Mahatma Gandhi
Condolence Prayer Message
Finding the right words of condolence to pen down can be difficult.
The fact is that, as a Christian, prayers can help especially praying for a loved one during seasons of grief and distress. Here are some condolence prayer messages, that you could say or write that will ease the sorrow and pain of a loved one or friend.
1. May the Lord walk beside you and bring you peace. Just know that I am praying for you. Accept my condolences.
2. May the memories of your loved one bring you peace and comfort in times of darkness. Cry unto the Lord and he will see you through.
3. Give the Lord your pain and find peace in His love. May his grace be abundant in your life every day.
4. Accept my love and sympathy. Through this period of grief, render prayers to God. He is always with you and would never leave you.
5. I pray that you find healing through the unending love of God. Give Him your worries and take solace in his word.
6. May the infinite love of God be with you in this time of struggle. You are in my prayers now and always. God bless you.
7. Please, accept my condolences in this time of sorrow. May the light of the Lord shine through in your family and bring you abundant peace.
8. The fact remains that, we may not always understand the tragedies in life. But thank God for his love. We are always in his hands. I pray that you find healing and comfort in the Lord.
9. My sincere sympathies and prayers are with you through this time of immense pain. May God go before you and walk beside you to guide you through, Amen.
10. May you and your family find comfort and strength in God’s presence. He said he will be with you even now and always. Stay blessed.
11. Sending my sympathies during this time. I pray that the love of Christ envelopes you and brings you peace that passes all understanding, Amen.
12. Though we walk through the deepest of valleys and darkest of tunnels, God is with us. May the good Lord grant you strength and healing in these dark times. He is always with you.
13. God is love. God is light. Lend your worries to Him and know that you are loved. I am praying for you.
14. I pray that the Lord will give you and your family strength and healing in this crucial period. May His infinite blessings comfort you.
15. May the Lord comfort you and cause his light to shine in your life and family. He loves you deeply and has a plan in store for you. Please accept our most sincere condolences.
16. Please accept my utmost sympathies and condolence. May God guide you back to His light through this time of trouble.
17. I pray that the healing light of Christ strengthens you through this time of pain. Put your trust in Him and He is will never leave you. He is always with you.
18. Please, accept my deepest condolences and know that I am praying with you now and always.
19. May the love of our Lord Jesus Christ abide with you, and give you strength in this time of sorrow. May His glory bring you comfort in the midst of darkness. My prayers are always with you.
20. Please, accept my heartfelt condolences in this period of grief. I pray that the love of our Savior Jesus Christ comfort you and bring you peace.
21. My heartfelt sympathy. Just know that you are never alone and that God walks beside you even in times of sorrow and pain. I pray for you to find comfort and strength in Jesus’ Name, Amen.
22. I pray that the Spirit of God would envelop you and comfort you. Be reminded that he loves you immensely and I do too. I hope you accept my deepest sympathies.
23. May the Holy Spirit, our comforter be with you every step of the way. May your faith wax stronger, and his love overflow in your heart.
24. I pray that the overwhelming presence of God be with you and strengthen you during this time of pain. Accept my deepest condolences.
25. In all things, give thanks. Whether pleasant or not. May the Love and grace of God abide with you now and forever, Amen.
26. May the Holy Spirit of God, minister healing and love to you during this time of grief. May he draw you near. May his presence encourage you and give you hope. God bless you.
27. I pray that God would cause his mercy and presence more vivid to you each hour of the day, no matter how hard it may be. You have my utmost sympathies.
28. God is always there to hold us up even we don’t understand why things turned out the way they did. I pray that God’s sustaining presence abide with you during this difficult time.
29. I pray that Christ, the heavenly provider, satisfy every of your need as you go through these difficult time. Accept my condolence.
30. May the good Lord stand by you, even as he stood with Daniel in the lions’ den. I pray that his presence would be by your side during this time of grief. My sympathies.
Biblical Condolence Quotes
Biblical condolence quotes are an excellent inspiration for condolence messages. As Christians, the greatest comfort and consolation we can find is in the word of God. Below are some verses that can provide comfort and peace in times of grief.
1. Psalms 119:50 – My comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life.
2. Psalms 57:1-2 – Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. I cry out to God Most High, to God, who vindicates me.
3. Psalms 72:12 – For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help.
4. Matthew 5:4 – Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5. Psalms 46:1 – God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
6. John 16:22 – So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
7. Isaiah 49:13 – For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
8. John 14:27 – Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
9. Psalms 23:4 – Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
10. Psalms 73:26 – My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
11. Genesis 28:15 – I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go… I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
12. 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
13. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – Blessed be the God and Father… who comforts us in all our affliction…
14. Isaiah 41:10 – Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
15. Isaiah 58:9 – Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
16. Psalms 126:5-6 – Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.
17. 2 Thessalonians 3:16 – Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way.
18. Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
19. John 16:22 – So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
20. Luke 6:21 – Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Religious Sympathy Quotes
Our religious beliefs are part of our day-to-day lives, both during the good and bad times. God has promised to be with us through every season, whether pleasant or not.
Below are some encouraging religious sympathy quotes for a friend or loved one going through grief.
1. My prayer for you is that the infinite peace of God comforts you in this period of pain. I pray that his Spirit encourages you. Take heart, my friend.
2. My heart reaches out to you. Please accept my deepest condolences. I’m praying for you and your family.
3. I’m really sad about the loss of your loved one. We find comfort because we know we shall see on the resurrection morning. May the good Lord comfort you and your family, Amen.
4. Please accept my sincere sympathy for the passing of your loved one. I’m praying for you and your family. God bless you all.
5. Here’s my most sincere sympathy. My prayer for you is that the grace of God is abundant in your life, even in these trying times. I’m here if you need to talk.
6. I’m so devastated to hear about your loss. I know that he/she’s soul is up in Heaven, and you’ll see each other again in the future. I pray God grants you the comfort and strength needed in this difficult time.
7. My heart goes out to you and your family during this hurtful period. this painful time. Just have it in mind that I’m praying for you.
8. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I pray that the love of God covers you and brings you comforts. I pray that he will help you heal from this painful loss.
9. May God grant him/her eternal rest in his heavenly abode. My prayers for you are that God comforts you and your family this period.
10. Your loved one (name) was a caring and God-fearing man. I’m assured his soul is in heaven right now, resting in the bosom of the Lord. Accept my condolences.
11. I’m praying for you and your family during this trying time. I pray that the power of God’s love and peace abide in your life, Amen.
12. I’d love to offer my sincere sympathies. I’m so heartbroken over the loss of your loved one. May his/her(name) soul rest in peace. Amen.
13. I am so sorry to hear the news about the departure of your loved one. I pray you will find patience and comfort, knowing that this world is not our home. God bless you richly.
14. I can’t begin to imagine exactly how you feel, but I know you will pull through this. Just to remind you that God is our refuge, strength, and our ever-present help in time of need. He is always with you.
Show your love, and express your hearthfelt condolences with any of these sympathy message to a friend.