No one can truly fathom how to face death or how to relieve the pain and the emotions of people dealing with it. Whatever you can do to help during this sensitive period is the best.
This is why showing empathy and giving comforting words and prayers for grieving family and friends around you makes it a little bit easier for them to bear the pain of losing someone to death.
The undeniable truth be told, we all have at one time grieved over the loss of someone very dear to us and it is not just easy to accept it. The type of loss relating to the death of a loved one is often the cause of the most intense type of grief.
After such grieving moments, coping with the loss of a loved one poses one of life’s biggest challenges, the memories about them is never fading and if you are reading this, it is almost certain you are likely to feel the same way; I must quote “it’s a whirlwind of emotions”.
Losing a loved one whether it is a close friend, spouse, parent, child, or relative can be a devastating loss and an awful experience. The loss set off a grief response and could result in an imbalance in the mental and physical well-being of a person affected by the loss especially when you have an integral and significant relationship with them.
Symptoms like nausea, fatigue, headaches, difficulty sleeping, and decreased appetite disrupt physical health together with sadness, guilt, fear, anger, shock, and disbelief which constitute emotional suffering.
However, grief is typically individual which implies that not everyone reacts the same way emotionally. According to a report from the vice president of programs at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Helen Rogers Pridgen, who described the grieving process among individuals is different for everyone, and it varies from individual to individual. She further explained Grief to be messy, cyclical and could linger around important events, words not said, and memories of the one we lost. In conclusion, she pointed out that “we must allow ourselves to feel whatever we feel”.
At this very point, it is important to reach out to those going through periods of mourning and grieving over the death of their loved one with lots of comforting words and prayers for grieving family and this would relieve their pain.
These consoling words foster strength to them that are weak, provides faith to them that may be full of doubt and uncertainty about their future, gives them the courage to carry on with life’s journey.
Don’t’ forget that words are powerful and so, sending out comforting words and prayers for grieving family or friends can raise their hopes for a brighter tomorrow.
Showing genuine sympathy, support and sending healing prayers have a significant effect on someone you care about who is going through the pain of losing someone and they will in turn find comfort and ease. With every passing time, they will soon accept and start to look to the future and eventually come to terms with their loss.
Not to worry! I am not here to crowd your space with overwhelming sadness or to remind you of the devastating experience in the cause of losing a loved one be it a family member or a friend instead the purpose of this content is to share some comforting words and prayers for grieving family and friends.
While navigating the death of a loved one is never easy, I have put it together in different categories based on the type of relationship you have with them, words of comfort, and prayers for grieving families and friends.
Short Prayers For Grieving Family
Making prayers for the grieving family is one of the kindest things you can offer to do especially when you are being empathetic. Death can be an incomprehensible and devastating experience to those left behind.
When a grieving family mourns one of its members so dear to them, giving your explanations will not help the situation but rather being there to console and give every support and care that you can is the kindest thing you can do.
Making Intercessions and short prayers for the grieving family would go a long way in helping them go through the pain of bearing their loss. Prayers as they say solves everything and bearing the loss of a loved one is a heartfelt condition and can only be taken care of by God Almighty, irrespective of religion and faith practiced.
Here are some powerful, healing, and short prayer for grieving family listed below:
● May the Almighty God uphold you and every member of your family with his Mighty Hands
● I pray that the Good Lord console your heart as you bear the loss of…… (Insert the name of the person and the what position he or she bears in the family)
● May the Lord bear the burden of your sorrows and give……… (Insert the name of the bereaved family) rest.
● The name of the Lord is your strong tower, you and yours are in good hands.
● The Lord God gives you His Peace to you and your family through this period of losing……. (insert the name of the person and the what position he or she bears in the family)
● May the Lord God gives you and your family the courage to carry on during these trying moments
● May God Almighty give His strength to the bereaved family.
● The good hand of the Lord is upon (insert the name of the family) to help you stay even strong as you mourn.
● May the God of heaven wipe away every tear from your eyes and fill your hearts with hope.
● May the Lord Almighty receive the soul of the departed in his bosom
● Rejoice! The soul of the departed saint has gone to be with the Lord. Amen and Amen.
● May the God of all comfort, comfort your family. Amen and Amen
● May the Almighty God give you his ministering Angels to strengthen your faith in this time of your mourning
● The Good hand of the Lord be upon you and your family, you are comforted.
● May the Lord Almighty heal the brokenhearted and bring comfort to your family
● May God Almighty look upon your family with his tender mercies in your time of grief
● May God’s mighty spirit take over your heart and fill it with His peace
● The Grace and Peace of God be with you and your family
● May the Lord God turn your overwhelming sadness and fill your heart with His Joy
● May the Lord God Almighty touch the hearts of the bereaved family and ease the pain. Grant them your peace. Amen and Amen
Related Post: Messages of Sympathy To A Friend
Prayers and Comforting Words for a Grieving Friend
Good friends are hard to come by, even one of the verses in the book of proverbs, describes a true friend to be one who is closer and sticks to you more than a brother. Accepting the death of a friend is painful and a friend dying is like losing a family member. So how you cope with this overwhelming grief especially if it happens suddenly, is a challenge; writing from my experience.
I have put together below prayers and comforting words for a grieving friend. So if you have anyone going through this challenge, sending healing prayers and sympathizing with them will do a whole lot of good, you may not be able to help take their sadness away all at once, but continually praying and sharing words of comfort with them hasten their recovery from the pain. Let’s look at a few:
● ”What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us.” – Helen Keller, Teacher and activist
● “The bond between friends cannot be broken by chance, no interval of time or space can destroy it. Not even death itself can part true friends.” – John Cassian, Theologian
● Praying for you now and always so be strong and be of good courage.
● May the God of comfort you and bring you out of your weariness.
● You are dear to me, when you cry, I cry with you. I pray that our heavenly father wipes the tears from your eyes.
● “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor do you want to. “ – Elizabeth Kubler- Ross, Psychiatrist
● “The darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief, the closer is God.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Author
● “We need to grieve the ones we have loved and lost in this lifetime- not to sustain our connection to suffering, but to sustain our connection to love.” – Unknown
● Pray you are doing well, I pray that your heart is filled with joy.
● Give your heart to the Lord and allow Him to bear this burden and He will give you His Unending peace.
● Praying for you now and always. I hope you find the strength to accept and carry on with life
● “Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.” – Leo Buscaglia, Professor
● “True friends are the ones who never leave your heart, even if they leave your life for a while. Even after years apart, you pick up with them right where you left off, and even if they die they are never dead in your heart.” – Unknown
● “We all lose friends… we lose them in death, to distance, and over time. But even though they may be lost, hope is not. The key is to keep them in your heart, and when the time is right, you can pick up the friendship right where you left off. Even the lost find their way home when you leave the light on” – Amy Marie Waltz
● “Love is stronger than death though it cannot stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it cannot separate people from love. It cannot take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death” – Anonymous
● Abba Father, I commit (insert the name of a friend who has just lost a close friend) into your loving care, let he /she not be overcome with sadness and ease their pain. Amen
● Sweet holy spirit, take over the heart of (insert the name of a friend who has just lost a close friend), and your peace upholds their heart.
● “It is not a goodbye … we will see her in the morning. She is in God’s hand now” – Unknown
● Be strong and have faith. I pray you to heal fast in Jesus’ name.
● Coping with the loss of your close friend can be very tough, so with the help of God, I hope you stay strong, keep moving. Keep fighting!
Related Post: Encouraging Words For Hard Times
How To Comfort Someone Who Lost A Loved One Over Text
Bear in mind, any form of showing condolences will mean the world to the grieving individual. Do not wait for the person to get in touch with you, as much as possible reach out to the person and this is why you should be able to know how to comfort someone who lost a loved one over text.
Choosing comforting phrases to comfort someone who lost a loved one over text equally expresses what you want to say even when you are physically present with them. Even though there is nothing you can do to stop their emotional pain. However, sending the right words to comfort someone grieving over a loved one will let them know you are there and they can rely on you.
Also note that the text must not be too long, preferably short and precise. The following condolence words can be shared as text:
1. “Hello Dear, I want you to know that I really care about you and you are in my heart. Please take care of yourself.”
2. “Good morning shola, ( you can insert the name of the person), you have been on my mind all night. You are in my prayers, Dear. ”
3. Hello Dear, thinking about you all morning, if you want to talk about anything, I’m always here for you. Praying for you always, I pray that you heal soon
4. The spirit of the Lord is your comfort. I hope you are well
5. I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend. Please be fine. I am praying for you.
6. I got you something to eat and I will be spending the night with you at your so you won’t feel lonely.
7. My Condolences. I pray that God strengthens your heart
8. You are not alone in this. I am here for you and God is right there by your side
9. Even though it’s hard to accept, I pray God to give your heart peace
10. I understand the way you feel, trust me I have been there but God comforted me. I’m praying for you. Peace.
11. I want you to know that I truly care about you and you are not alone in this. Just be strong. The Lord is helping you.
12. I’m coming right to see you. I’m so pained to hear this sad news that( insert the deceased name ) is no more. I’m praying for you.
13. I pray God turns this sadness and fills your heart with Joy.
14. The Lord is in the midst of you and your family. I’m praying for you always
15. How are you feeling today? Is someone there with you? If you don’t mind I would like to spend some time with you
Words of Comfort for Loss of Family Member or Loved One
The loss of a family member comes with a shock as though no one is prepared for it and just like when there’s a sudden hit of an earthquake in a place.
As hard as it is to accept, grieving is part of life’s journey and if you have someone who is bereaving, sharing your words of comfort for the loss of family member is a good way to show heartfelt love and support during and after their mourning period. The following words will help express your condolences:
1. I am so sorry about what you are going through, you are not alone in this, I’m right here with you to share in your pain
2. I can understand if you cry this much, I hope you feel much better soon
3. You cannot bear this pain all alone, I believe God is right by your side to bear this pain with you
4. You are in my thoughts and prayers, I hope you are well today
5. My sincere condolences.
6. Peace will never leave you, Joy will never cease and your strength will not fail you.
7. I am ever ready to give you every support that you need in trying times. I’m so sorry for your loss
8. My heartfelt sympathy. I hope you stay strong.
9. I am here with you. We will get through this together. I’m sorry about what happened.
10. I cannot imagine how you must be feeling right now. If only I could take the pain away
11. I am praying for you and your family members. You are always on my mind
12. Remembering the ( the deceased p ) with love today
13. What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us – Helen Keller
14. I am grieving with you. My prayers are with you
15. I wish I have the right words to say to you. I am thinking of you
16. (The deceased name) will always be remembered for all the good that he is and has done. My sincere condolences.
17. I will miss her. She was such a caring person to be with. My heartfelt sympathy
18. Holding you close in my thoughts and prayers
19. Words cannot express how sorry I am. Grieving with you!
20. Pray you are well today. I pray you find comfort in facing this difficult time.
Religious Words Of Sympathy For Loss Of Mother or Father
How to rightly put words together to someone who lost his or her mother / father especially when s/he has a good number of years to live can be very tough because it’s could come with a striking shock.
The role of a mother specifically played well in the life of her children and Husband cannot be depreciated and her significant impact and contribution hold so much value.
What’s more important is to be there for them, praying and giving your every support. The following religious words of sympathy for loss of mother or father are suggestions to help you show your sincere sympathy. They are as follows:
● May the God of Heaven give to you and your family the strength to bear this loss
● May the Lord Almighty watch over you and your family.
● Your Mother rests in the bosom of the Lord. She will be remembered for her good deeds.
● We pray that God Almighty gives you His Grace to overcome this difficult time
● May the Lord God comfort you during this time of your grieving
● The Lord is saying to you, according to his word in Genesis 28:15, it says ” I will watch over you wherever you go “. I hope this word comforts your heart. Amen
● In this moment of your grieving, I want to remind you of one of the things God promises to us in Deuteronomy 31:8 which says, “the Lord will go before you and will be with you, he will never leave you nor forsake you”.
● God is comforting you and your entire family.
● God is touching your heart right now. You are in my prayers.
● In this difficult time, know that God is your peace
● May the God of Heaven bless you and your family and keep you in his presence.
● May her loving soul rest in peace.
● I pray for your comfort and strength during this difficult time
● May God bless her soul as they ascend to heaven with him. May God’s love comfort and bless you right now.
● May God give her soul eternal peace and a safe resting place with him. Our prayers for God’s comfort are with you and your family.
● Praying for you and your family members during this difficult time. I pray that the power of the love of God fills your hearts.
● My sincere prayers for you is that the peace of God which the world cannot give keeps your heart and mind. I’m so sorry about what happened.
● I’m very saddened about the death of your dear mother. She is such a good person. My heart prays for you. Please accept my condolences!
● Please accept my deepest sympathies. I pray that the Good Lord and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ fill your heart with hope.
● My prayers for you is that your strength will not fail in this grieving moment over the loss of your mother
Prayerful and Inspirational Sympathy Message
If you have someone who is grieving over a family member or a friend, you can help them through prayerful and Inspirational sympathy messages; daily committing their hearts into God’s care prayerfully, and giving every support to them in their sad moments and even after.
Showing your sincere sympathies and thoughts of love will be well appreciated by the recipient. Let’s point out a few thoughtful quotes:
● God will not leave you to comfort less, He promises to be with you. Please accept my sincere condolences
● The Lord is your light and your salvation. He will not leave you alone. My prayers are with you and your family
● Through this time of grief, my prayers for you is that you are strengthened
● We are praying for you that your strength will not fail. Praying for you always
● I pray that your heart will not grow weary. I also pray that the God Almighty comforts your heart.
● We are sending condolences to you in this sorrowful time. Let the peace of the Lord be with your family
● Our heartfelt sympathies and love are with you through this moment of grief. May the Lord watch over you and your family
● May your family find comfort in God’s tender mercies. We pray for your healing and strength through this time of loss
● My prayer for you is that feel the sweet embrace of God’s love. He is with you through this difficult moment
● Extending our deepest sympathies in this time of loss. May God comforts you in His Grace
● The Lord is your strength and peace. May the Lord watch over you and your family
● Know that you are not alone and most importantly one and right heirs with Christ and He is definitely with you through these times of sorrow. We extend our sincere condolences
● I am praying for you and your family in these sad moments, May the God Almighty strengthen your heart with His hope
● I hope that God bears this overwhelming sorrow from you. The joy of the Lord is your strength
As social beings, we must grow to learn to be polite, understanding, and sympathetic. Death is one such subject that cannot be escaped by anyone and so grieving is natural and human. Everyone must pass through such an experience; sadly no one is prepared to face it when it finally happens. During this rough phase, an individual goes through tough times grieving over a family member or a friend and when they are trying to process their emotions and accept the reality of their loss, it does not come easy.
When you know someone who is grieving, know that choosing the right words counts; your words matter. Expressing your concern and support can offer comforts, heartwarming and meaningful condolences and thoughts for the loss of a loved one. Even though you may not be able to cure their grief or give an instant healing for the emotional wounds in their heart, committing them to your prayers can guide them to find solace and to a place of healing.
I hope with the help of this post put together “110 comforting words and prayers for grieving family and friends” you can draw inspirations and thoughtful sympathies to share with someone who is grieving and I pray that we will find the strength and the courage to carry on as we go through life.